We are currently looking for a News Writer (Volunteer) to assist our Communications Team. We are looking for the volunteer to have a minimum commitment is an average of 10 hours per week including a weekly one-on-one meeting with the News Editor.
The role will be to create content for our newsletters and online blogs. You will work closely with the Communications Team to properly promote news content. Although you may on occasion be assigned with other duties, generally you will contribute ideas for stories in conjunction with the News Editor.
The duties will include:
- Verifying accuracy of facts and obtain supplemental material and additional details from files, reference libraries, and interviews with knowledgeable sources.
- Organising material and write stories conforming to specified length, style, and format requirements.
- Interviewing people in a range of different circumstances as needed.
- Building contacts to maintain a flow of news, for example, police and emergency services, local council, community groups, health trusts, press officers from a variety of organisations, the general public, etc.
- Seeking out and investigate stories via your contacts, press releases and other media.
- Working closely with the news team, photographers and editors.
- Producing concise and accurate copy according to the newspaper’s house style.
- Researching and writing longer feature articles, sometimes for subsidiary publications and supplements.
- Creating news content for the website.
- ‘Live’ online reporting or real-time blogging when covering important events.
The successful candidates will
- Written Communication, Problem Solving, Deadline-Oriented, Expertise in news-gathering, writing, and editing for short-form and long-form reports, experience in journalism.
- The ability to operate under strict timelines and deadlines.
- Positive attitude, detail and reader oriented with good multitasking and organisational ability.
- Fluency in English.
If you would be interested in applying for this volunteer role, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.